I somehow stumbled onto How Not to Make a Hang Drum, which is a hilarious mini-documentary of a failed DIY project (although I can’t really call it “failed” since it produced such a fun little movie). Here’s part 2.
Anyway, from here it was down the rabbithole (again) of various Hang-style drums:
- The Original Propane Tank Hank Drum on YouTube, by Dennis Havlena.
- His Hank Drum instructions and his impressive DIY instrument repository.
- Same idea, the TuneTank, and a smaller version made from an 11 lb. tank.
- Then there’s the Zen Tambour (YouTube) made by Exotic Vessels.
- … or these by Milltone Drums.
- Not big enough? There are Whale Drums by Jim Doble, who does pieces for Playgrounds and Children’s Museums.